Ditch Your Resolutions!
I hate New Year’s resolutions. They seem so negative. I resolve… sounds like a punishment already. What I do like are goals. Now that’s something I wrap my head around. Goals can come in all shapes and sizes. They can be short-term, long-term, big or small and anywhere in between. Goals are something we can work towards and not feel like a failure if we stray while trying to reach them. Too often when we make a resolution, as soon as we misstep- which you know we will- we feel we have failed and who wants that?
So as we embark on the New Year, I encourage you to set some goals. Here are a few tips to help you reach them.
- For a big goal, start with the end in mind and then think of the actions it will take to achieve it. This is called “chunking it down.” These are now mini goals.
- Choose one mini goal to focus on every couple of days. You can alternate what they are or stay with one until you achieve it. The great thing is there is no right or wrong.
- Tell others what your goals are. Research shows two things here. One, others want to help you reach your goals and two, the more you verbalize your goals the greater success you have in achieving them.
- Set some today only goals. I call these “one and done”. Example: My goal is to drink more water. So if I have a glass of water first thing in the morning- I’m done. It was more than I used to do and I achieved my goal – go me! I just experienced success- which motivates me instead of discourages me.
- Reward yourself, whether you reach your goal or not! Yes, you read that right. The biggest failure is in not trying, so if you are trying you are already successful 😉 .